THE LI WOOD CARVERS SHOW


Thursday, February 18, 2010

Annual Competition May 2010



I have wondered why I should compete when I thought my work wasn't good enough to win a ribbon. After thinking about it for a while I realized that I had seen some some great carvings without ribbons at competitions in the past. In fact I had voted on some for the "People's Choice". Then I realized that just as I went to shows and competitions to see what others did and to get ideas so did others, as the saying goes"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder". Your carving may not be picked this time but put it in other shows and the results may be different!
I also like to put my carvings in show and tell and watch the reactions as other carvers look at my work in a non-competitive setting. Sometimes I ask people what they think realizing that criticism and praise can be very helpful in encouraging me and helping me to IMPROVE. So when all is said and done I will submit a carving or three and know that I'm doing what I like to do...CARVE.
The Annual Competition will be at the May meeting! Ed