Thursday, November 5, 2009

Carving Tip:

Here is a tip from another carver:
"I worked for a fire training agency where we used boiled linseed oil to finish the wooden handles on the fire axes.
Polyurethane or shellac finishes would bubble and/or melt when exposed to the heat of a fire.
When using boiled linseed oil (or any oil and petroleum based finish) be cautious about saturating piles of sawdust or rags with it. It is subject to spontaneous combustion.
If you use rags, make sure to hand wash them good with soap and water then air dry
outside, or store them in sealed metal containers." Daniel Starbuck
Thanks Daniel! Good advice for certain!