THE LI WOOD CARVERS SHOW


Saturday, October 6, 2018

Oiling Spoons!

by  Robert Pridgen, website click here






I enjoy carving spoons and other small kitchen ware and commonly use walnut oil as a finish, but I don’t make these items frequently or in large batches.   I know that many who do use some sort of soak tank to immerse their woodenware for a prolonged immersion in the oil of their choice.  In my case, however, such a setup is impractical and requires a large amount of oil.  Since I may do a piece every month or two, I needed a system that allowed me to immerse the piece in oil without requiring a tank or a gallon of oil.

My solution?  A gallon Ziploc bag.  I place the item in the bag, and added a small quantity of oil.  I then squeeze all of the air out of the bag and let things soak.  Since there is no air, the small amount of oil ( about an ounce or so) easily covers the surface of the spoon completely, and allows the wood to take up as much oil as possible.  You can see in the photo above the small amount of oil pooling in the lower left corner of the bag.  A quick daily agitation ensures that everything is still coated, and I can add more oil if needed.  Works like a charm!